*Follow us on Instagram: @sc_highvoltagedanceteam
High Voltage is primarily an exhibition dance team providing a variety of entertainment by performing pom, kick, and hip hop routines at an advanced technical level.
We perform at home varsity football games, basketball games, and pep assemblies. We also compete at the CMAC Championship dance competition in team and solo events.
The primary function of a dance team is to effectively execute a school spirit program that supports the athletic teams and promotes the school itself by providing entertainment at sporting events, parades, and pep assemblies. As ambassadors of the school and community, dancers have the responsibility to uphold, to reflect, and to project team goals and ideals in such a positive way as to increase public awareness and respect of the team. (Dance Team Handbook, Universal Dance Association)
Show up in every moment like you’re meant to be there.
-Marie Forleo (given to our dance team from MA Dance instructors, summer 2017)
Coach's purpose statement:
I coach to help young dancers project energy and S-C pride at halftime through our dedicated work and shared passion for performing that binds our dance family. --Julie Willadsen
TEAM HISTORY--just a few fun facts
- High Voltage was originally a pep club named SPIZ at Smith-Cotton. Many dance moms and grandmothers of current and former High Voltage members were SPIZ members.
- Coach Willadsen was a freshman dancer in 1991 when the team name "High Voltage" was chosen to reflect that it was no longer a pep club.
- The team's performing focus has shifted over the years from dance to color guard with the S-C Tiger Pride Marching Band and back to dance.
- SPIZ was revived as a pep club by Student Council around 2005, coming full circle back to Smith-Cotton. Around the same time a separate color guard for the S-C Tiger Pride Marching Band was created, giving High Voltage its current dance performing focus at fall and winter events.
- Being part of the Central Missouri Activities Conference now gives us a chance to compete in November in team and solo categories for conference recognition. We have had a number of soloists selected as All-Conference Dancers and took 3rd in team in 2021!